Monday, October 17, 2005

My Blog Is A Fickle Blog

So let me tell you about Friday and Mew.

Only my fifth concert ever. And the first one in a “real” concert venue. I was packing my camera and minidisc when my mother said “You’re not bringing those are you?”. She pointed my attention to the ticket where it said that no recording devices were allowed, picture or sound. So there I was with 10 minutes to go before I had to leave for the bus. Wondering what I should do. I’ve heard stories from America, mostly from the Smashing Pumpkins community, about stealth taping and hiding your gear in your underpants and whatnot. I wasn’t sure if I should leave my stuff at home, if I should try and conceal it somewhere on my body or if I should just hope for the best. I ended up with a combination of the last two. Not really hiding my stuff, but arranging it all so that if I was going to be faced by a giant, angry controller then I would be able to con my way in. Or die trying.

I was pretty nervous in the bus though. Going over what to say if I got caught and all that jazz. But it turned out to be no problem at all. Sort of like I was hoping. I didn’t get patted down. The controllers just stood there and looked at people as far as I could tell. And once I got inside the security guards didn’t give a damn whether people were taking pictures. And I wore my microphone very visibly on my shirt without anyone commenting on that either. So no worries. I don’t know how big bootlegging is in Denmark. I kinda get the idea that venues and controllers aren’t even aware that there might be people wanting to tape. Or maybe I’ve just been lucky and encountered lax security.

It’s a little scary that I could have brought in a bomb or a gun though. Wouldn’t have been a problem. But no bombs in that show, luckily.

There were a lot of people. I took my spot out by the wall. I just don’t feel comfortable in the middle of the crowd yet. Plus I like taking pictures and making videos and that’s probably harder if you’re right in the center, surrounded by people.

I was trying to estimate how many people there were. I guessed 3-400 people. Hah. I read in the paper the next day that there had been 2500. That’s a lot of people, don’t you think? Especially for a guy who has problems being in a room with 5 people, let alone 2500.

But I felt okay. I think I have gotten to the point where my social phobia isn’t really a problem as long as I don’t have to have direct interaction with people. Being in crowds isn’t a problem anymore. So that’s good.

And then Press Play On Tape kicked off. And that was awesome. But scroll down to the previous entry to read about that.

When they were done I figured Mew would be right out. But half an hour later the stage was set up for Blue Foundation. Now I don’t have a lot of stamina, I’m not too fit. And I’m not a partying dance-maniac. So when they started playing I was getting really tired, my head was throbbing and I just wanted Mew to start. When they said that they had two songs left of their set then I thought “But your songs are so loooong”. Hehe. This isn’t meant to be a review of Blue Foundation, I just couldn’t appreciate them much under the circumstances. They were pretty good, but I wanted Mew.

Blue Foundation picture album. With all of three crappy pictures. I should delete them really, but I kinda like to have an album for every show I’ve seen.

When they were done there was another half hour or so where the stage was set up for Mew. And then it was time. Mew exploded onstage. And they were great. Better than the first time I saw them. Mainly because I knew the new songs better and then because of the venue and crowd.

I love Mew. As you might have noticed by my entries recently. I will once again recommend that you check them ought. Any way you can. Their music is amazing. It’s full of beauty. It reminds me a little of the Smashing Pumpkins in the way that there is slow and fast, loud and quiet. Little poppy choruses and long, drawn-out instrumental passages.

They get critized for not being very good live. I disagree with that. They have such an amazing stage show, with brilliant visuals in the background. But that also limits them a little because they have to “follow” the visuals. So there isn’t a lot of room for improvisation, jumping around and changing setlists. I think that’s why some people think they’re boring live, that you might as well listen to their CDs instead. But if you take it all in, the visuals and the music. I really think it’s wonderful. If you ever get the chance to see Mew, you should.

I love the way the music flows together. Their new CD is like one long symphony, all the tracks flow together. And live they have the same thing, only with songs from their older albums too. All flowing together. Like one massive river of sound.

It works so well. I’m pretty much in awe. That this is a Danish band. That we can do this. Puny, little Denmark.

Let’s take a little timeout with pictures.

051014_mew01_th.jpg

051014_mew08_th.jpg

051014_mew09_th.jpg

051014_mew11_th.jpg

051014_mew12_th.jpg

051014_mew_vid04_th.jpg

051014_mew_vid09_th.jpg

051014_mew_vid11_th.jpg

Complete Mew album. With more of the same.

At one point during the concert a girl poked me on the shoulder and leaned in to say something to me. I couldn’t hear what she said, the music was so loud. I just sort of shook my head and pointed to my ears. And then she nodded and turned back to her friends. I really have no idea what it was all about. I think she might have been asking if it was bothering me that she was talking to her friends right next to me. But since I couldn’t hear anything I obviously wasn’t bothered.

For all I know she could have been asking me if I liked to insert jalapenos in my anus. And then she would think that my response was “no, but I like inserting them in my ears” when I pointed there. Hah. And she would nod, because everybody like jalapenos in their ears.

She was cute though. Maybe she was asking me out. You never know. It could happen.

There were a lot of cute girls there. It’s sort of baffling when you’re not used to being around people. Or girls. Or cute girls. In party clothes. It makes you realize how utterly, deeply, completely lonely you are as you’re standing alone by the wall and everyone else is dancing and drinking and screaming. I still have a ways to go before I’m a normal concert goer.

But I’m getting there at least.

And I loved the show, obviously. There is nothing like being alive in the music. It’s too bad about the Sony minidisc transfer thing. Because right now I feel like going to loads of concerts to make loads of recordings and have loads of fun. But I can still have fun of course. Tomorrow I’m going to see if I can get tickets to Kashmir. November 9th. It’s an extra date because the 10th is sold out. I like Kashmir. Not as much as Mew, but enough to want to go and have a good time. And I want to go to some shows at work too. Gyngen. I can get in for free. And I can practice taping. And practice the social things. You know that ain’t bad.

Oh and also it should be noted that I have had two comments and one email from the Press Play On Tape guys after I signed their tagwall. It just goes to show that not only are they the best Commodore 64 revival band in the world, they are also jolly nice guys. It made me all kinds of happy.

There you go. For the love of music. Or should I say Mewsic? I shouldn’t? I should shut the hell up?

Okay then.

One Response to “My Blog Is A Fickle Blog”

  1. Katherine Says:

    Concert colours rock! So much movement and electricity.

    A lot of cool has emerged from Denmark in film, literature, and art, so it’s no surprise Denmark produces mega talent musically too…

    It’s amazing how your courage has accelerated and at the same time you’re the same real person you’ve always been. Humble, grateful, thoughtful, introspective. It’s wonderful to see you enjoying events.

    I could see you doing photo-journalism essays about concerts because you’re observant and knowledgeable and have a unique writing style.

No comments:

Post a Comment