Saturday, January 07, 2006

Frown Upside Down

I think I have made a new friend.

Moomincat came through my window again today. Not once, but twice. And I swear he must have some sort of sixth sense that tells him when I am sleeping. I was lying in bed both times.

First in the morning. The alarm had buzzed and I was lying in my bed, enjoying the fact that I didn’t have to get up. Half awake. Halfway between sleep and reality. And then I felt him landing on my bed. My bed is cleverly placed straight underneath the window, so if anyone wants to sneak in then they have to land on the bed. I love the feeling of a cat landing on me.

He did his “usual” routine. Jumped down on the floor. Looked around in my room. Looked at the door. And then jumped back up on my bed and curled up in a ball. He only stayed for 5-10 minutes. Then he jumped up in the window sill and sat there for a few minutes. And then jumped out in the yard.

He walked around in my back yard and climbed up on the roof of our neighbours.

cat on the roof

There he is. There was another cat in our yard too. Moomincat went into our barely standing shed, I was watching him through my window. And I could see another cat. I wonder if they know each other. Or if my back yard is suddenly just the big hip hangout-place for cats.

Fast-forward through the day. Not doing much. Going up to see the goats. Then taking a nap. Waking up in the middle of it because something lands on my bed. Yup, Moomincat was back.

I had been wondering whether I would be able to sleep with a cat in the room. Just the presence of someone, or something, else. I have always slept alone, except for with Skye (how I miss it). So, I decided to try it out. I didn’t get up. I peeked a little every now and then and saw Moomincat still lying in the foot-end, all curled up. And eventually I fell asleep. He must have been sleeping too. What a beautiful, wonderful thing. To fall asleep with a cat in my bed. I can’t properly articulate what a lovely feeling it is. I guess if you have a pet of your own then you’ll know.

I woke up by the alarm going off. I sat up and saw Moomincat staring at the alarm. Haha. Everybody hates alarm clocks. I turned it off and cuddled him a little to apologise for the rude awakening. And then he jumped up in the window sill and looked out for a minute and then jumped out and left.

What an amazing cat. I feel so priviliged, that he wants to take naps in my bed.

You have to be thankful for little wonders.

How else are things going? I went back to work, which was tough after being sick and being depressed. Sanne, my boss, is so understanding. It’s amazing. I am thankful for that too. I have had to move though. Eh, long story short: Poul Erik has stopped. Søren and Kenneth has started. Søren has long legs. Poul Erik’s desk is short. Søren has taken my desk, I have taken Poul Erik’s desk. Got it? I don’t mind, because Poul Erik’s desk is in the corner. And I like corners. Two out of four angles are safe. I always go for the corner when I have to sit down in new places.

Søren, by the way, seemed like a jolly fellow. He reminded me of Ross and Monica’s dad on Friends. Gould? For some reason. He came and asked about what I was doing. I was picking colours for next month’s flier and poster. And he also showed me his palm pilot thingie. It was quite smart. He had all his photos in there.

He got my computer of course, and I have this program running that keeps changing the desktop picture. It cycles through 20-30 of my pictures. So he asked about my pictures and showed me his and we talked a little. Really good social exercise.

So that’s okay. And it was good to get back to work too. To keep sane.

Also went to the library. It wasn’t quite succesful. I wanted The Little Prince and the moominbook where they wake up from hibernation in the winter. I got neither. But I did get Comet In Moominland instead. I think I’ll just get all the moominbooks and read them. I’m not sure if they’re actually considered kid’s books or not. But I don’t care, I will play by my own rules. I also got Den Gamle Biograf. Book 4 in the Vesterbæk series by Jacob Hedegaard Pedersen. If you are Danish then you should dig up book 3, Flugten Fra. Look in the credits. You will find my name in there. I think I’m listed as “script consultant”. Hehe.

Yes, yes. Made reservations for The Little Prince, Moominland Midwinter, Høst (last of the Vesterbæk series) and a “learn to play guitar” video. Yup. It feels good to use the library again. When I was a kid I practically lived in there. I am disappointed in myself for how little I have read since I “grew up”. But I guess that whole “isolate myself from the outside world” thing is a good excuse.

Speaking of suicidal thoughts, thank you for listening. Now that I’m back at work and back in health and there’s a little snow on the ground and a visiting cat, hopefully my mood will improve. I have thought about going to my doc to talk about the medicin. I guess I’ll see how I feel the next week or two.

There’s a lot of good in my life. Not least you guys.

One Response to “Frown Upside Down”

  1. Maile Says:

    buck up my friend. life can be a good thing indeed. one moment you’re contemplating veins the next moment you’ve got cats on your bed. you should live for the cat days. cat days are great. i got a forward today. don’t usually read those things. but one of the lines was ‘for every sixty seconds you spend upset, it’s a minute of happiness you’ll never get back.’ i’ve got blair reading your blog too. he likes the animal pictures. have you been to cute overload? i think it’ll give you a good cheering up.

No comments:

Post a Comment