Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Moominplume

Would you excuse me while I go throw up?

Thank you.

I am not at all well. My stomach is upset. And I don’t mean that it’s ranting about the war in Iraq.

Let me also take this opportunity to say thank you for the comments. About the new year and the cat. Thank you Milla for the big new year comment, that was beautiful. Thank you Anne for mentioning Mumi troldene. “The Moomin trolls” as they seem to be called in English. Every now and then, perhaps once a year, perhaps not even that, I remember the mumitrolde. And I am hit by a wave of nostalgia, sort of like with Bamse På Planet. Just something undefinable from your childhood. I hardly remember them. Hazy images in my mind. I remember loving the stories. I think my mother read them to me. And there was a cartoon. In which the mumitrolls woke up early from hibernation and their valley was still covered by snow. And me loving snow, well that was just the perfect setting. I remember being scared too. There was some kind of lady winter or lady frost? She scared me. There was a popup book too that scared me. I seem to remember some dark parts of the stories, some melancholy. But also beauty and joy. And adventure. I think I really, really loved those stories when I was a kid. I have an overwhelming desire to find the books and read them now. Or the comics or cartoons or popup books.

I want to be a kid again.

Official Moomin characters homepage
Wikipedia Moomin

Also great big thank yous to Meredith, Clare and Katherine whose christmas cards I received today. It’s like christmas come early.

In the spirit of giving I have updated the video section.

Three videos of goats in the snow. From last year. After the snowstorm. You can see how much snow is left on top of the fence. But Mads breaks through it. You can also see Magnethe shake herself like she’s a wet dog. And then after that she swings her head around so her big floppy ears fly all over the place. Cute.

Two videos of my feline visitor. The wonderful, sweet cat. See for yourself how sweet and lovely it was.

I forgot one detail about it. One of the first things it did when it had settled down on my bed was to lick itself all over. Cleaning itself. Cleaning the fur. I just sat and stared in awe of course. It acted like it felt completely at home and at ease with me. How wonderful.

Now you’ll have to excuse me again.

2 Responses to “Moominplume”

  1. Anne Says:

    Troldvinter, hedder bogen, hvor Mumi vågner for tidligt og oplever vinteren første gang. Mumi-historierne er smukke og skræmmende, men de er faktisk gode at få forstand af. En ven, nu psykolog, skrev en deleksamen på dem, og hun fastholder, at de er rene arketyper – de der træk, vi alle har til fælles. Og det er store, eksistentielle spørgsmål, hende der Janson uden at blinke hælder på de små. En nevø fik Kometen Kommer af mig, og det tog lang tid at få den læst højt – når der var gået et kapitels penge, gik ungen – Bjarke – i panik, og bogen blev sat væk. Efter en uge begyndte de så forfra, og kom altid lidt længere. Prøv Troldvinter og tyg lidt på hunden Ynk von Jammerlunds oplevelser for ikke at tale om Mumis møde med sin forfar.

  2. Milla Says:

    Hugs, wish you to get well soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment