Sunday, September 04, 2005

Forever’s Falling Down

If I don’t, make it back,
From the city, then,
It is only because,
I am drawn away

I love Mew. I’m looking forward to the new album. Mew And The Glass Handed Kites. Nice.

And The Zookeper’s Boy is great. Although I want them to sing “Are you my baby, are you? my baby are you? Are you?”. Instead of Lady. Although I guess they don’t need me to rewrite their songs for them.

But I had a few things to catch up with from the past week.

As I have mentioned Poul Erik is stopping at work. So we celebrated him.

thumb

The four of us. Poul Erik on the left. Sanne in the middle, she insisted on sitting in the sun. And Anders on the right.

I have also mentioned that we made a mug for him. The going away present.

thumb

Unwrapping.

thumb

And unwrapped.

I made the illustration. The quality of it wasn’t amazing. Here’s the file:

krus

And then imagine the quality degraded and slapped on a mug. But still a nice gift I think. At least now he won’t forget.

And the funny part? He isn’t actually leaving after all. He’s going to stay on as a volunteer for a while. He doesn’t know what he will be doing now. And since I’m going to be out for a week or two because of my operation he’s going to stay and help at the office.

So t’was kind of odd to have a goodbye celebration when he isn’t really saying goodbye yet. But such is life. If it gives you oranges then give the oranges to the needy and help them plant an orange tree.

And the little celebration itself went fine. I didn’t say a whole lot, but I did butt in with a few words now and then. A joke here, a “mhm” there. And most importantly, I didn’t feel scared. Sitting in a social situation and feeling comfortable, that is a wonderful feeling.

I had some very tired days, exhausted periods. When I’m really tired and have no energy I usually go up and get my glass of lemonade and have lunch early. I did that a couple of times in a row. Went up before 11 am. That’s when the bar opens, but even if I go up earlier they are still nice enough to serve me. Not like pouring a glass of lemonade is so hard. But nice of them. Then the following day I went up at a more normal hour and Wilma said “Oh we were just waiting for you”. Because they thought I’d be coming early again, you see? The point of this anecdote? Just that Wilma is very nice. I like her. She’s always kind to me. And smiling. Most of the people who work up in the bar/restaurant are very nice. Thomas, who used to work in our office, is still up there. He always says my name a lot. “Hi Lasse”. “Here you go Lasse”. “Do you want fries with that Lasse?”. (I made the last one up). I like that too. I don’t have a very strong self-image, you know? My sense of my own identity is somehow strengthened when he keeps using my name like that. Does that make sense? It’s just nice to be known. To be a part of the place. To be welcomed with smiles. It’s not like we’re best friends forever. But I feel welcome and accepted. And that means a lot to me.

I also mentioned that Mads was starring in some kind of performance in the festuge. The festive week. I actually did manage to go down and try to see him. I talked to Sanne about it and told her that I’d use it as part of my therapy and training. And she said it was okay for me to go. Unfortunately I didn’t get to see Mads perform. I was too late. I did hear him baahing backstage though. Haha. He was starring in a Hans The Clopper part of a Hans Christian Andersen performance. It wasn’t really a play as such. It was more of a “virtual Hans Christian Andersen court yard experience” as I understood it. You had a big court yard and then there were lots of Hans Christian Andersen characters and situations. And the kids could go around and pretend to be part of the fairytales. It was for kids yes. Ages 3-6. So maybe it would have been a little odd for me if I had gone in while it was running hehe. Not the odd one out, but the old one out. I already felt a bit weird when I was trying to find where Mads would be. I had to ask some people if they knew anything about a goat in one of the performances.

“I heard that there is a goat in one of the performance, can you tell me which one it is and where it would be?”
“A goat?”
“Yes, he’s going to be in one of the perfomances”
“What’s his name?”
“He’s called Mads”
“Wait a minute, let me just go check”.

More or less like that. Funny.

But as I said, the performance was over. So I went back to work. And I took a look at their website. And found that they actually did multiple performances. Shows at 10, 12 and 14. I had been there around 11:20. D’oh. If I had waited around then I could have seen the next one. But oh well.

After work I went to the playground. And Mads was still away on actor duty. So I got to hang around with just Magnethe and Mathilde. That was nice. Mads is so aggressive and dominant, it’s hard to just sit down and play with Magnethe without getting interrupted for example.

thumb

So we had some good times.

Mads did come back while I was still there. He seemed unusually subdued. Maybe he was overstimulated. I can just imagine him in the middle of a flock of little kids. He must have gotten a ton of attention. And good food backstage. He seemed almost uninterested in me. Didn’t even want to chase away Magnethe while I gave her some carrot.

It was kind of odd seeing him like that. A little spooky almost. A whole other Mads. But he did get back to his old self around the time I started to leave. I picked some leaves and fed them to Magnethe and Mathilde. And then he came running as fast as he could and butted Mathilde away. And wanted all the leaves for himself. Good old Mads. He’s a handful, but I wouldn’t want it any other way.

Tall just like a giraffe, you have to climb to find its head. But if there’s a glitch, you’re an ostrich. You got your head in the sand. Friends only.

Time to go. My operation is on Wednesday. I am scared and excited and happy and worried and much more. But I’ll write about that one of the next days.

in a big big way I am really small

2 Responses to “Forever’s Falling Down”

  1. Anne Says:

    Lige kommet hjem fra HCA-parade i København, men der var heller ingen geder. Rart, at du stadig er kæk – go’ vind på onsdag. Vi i CyperVillage følger med og sender masser af gode tanker. Også fra Winnie, som nu er hjemme fra Sydamerika.

  2. grant Says:

    What does one say for an operation? Break a leg? No that doesn’t sound right. I think “Best Wishes” goes best with this occasion. I hope all goes well for you. Hopefully this can be a catalyst for a new start for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment