Sunday, November 13, 2005

Love Thy Neighbour. Wreck His Car.

Harry Potter is on the telly. The first one. I never watched it. Never read any of the books either. For once I’m outside the madness, looking in.

I’m half-watching it now. What I have noticed is that the CGI effects seem rather dodgy. It doesn’t look like the big budget amazatronics I was expecting. I guess the movie is getting a bit on in years, maybe it’s just the age showing. Or maybe I’m being overly critical. I don’t really like Harry, you see. He’s what? 11? And everybody loves him. Oooh he’s so special bla bla. I don’t like kids like that. If I went to school with Harry then I’d be his dorky friend. Or no, I guess I wouldn’t. Because the dorky friend would still serve a purpose and be useful in the end and have some fans after all. I’d be the quiet geek in the corner who was trying not to get noticed while everyone else was fighting trolls and impressing teachers with their magic skills. I wouldn’t make it into the books except in “Harry ran through a class room full of boys”. That would be me, somewhere in there.

And you know, it’s not fair. I may not be a child prodigy. I might not be gifted. I might not have a great talent for magic. I might not be in any prophecies, I might not be the chosen one who will bring balance to the force. I might not be the one that all the girls write fanfic about. I might not win the quidditch match even though I have never played it before. I might not be ever-so-special. But that doesn’t mean I don’t deserve love. Just because I’m not the main character in the story, or life, doesn’t mean you can just ignore me. I’M HERE. I might be below average and I might be out of the story by book 2, but I will not be forgotten.

Damn I’m inside the madness again.

4 Responses to “Love Thy Neighbour. Wreck His Car.”

  1. Lindsay Says:

    You could be Neville. He’s sort of not very cool, and awkward (which is not to make this out to be a bad thing- oh goodness, I am digging myself into a corner), and totally comes from the middle of nowhere in the fifth book and kicks ass and saves Harry’s super special gifted self. I like Neville.

    J.K. Rowling is always turning seemingly innocuous characters into heroes or villains or otherwise crucial-to-the-story types.

    And really, Harry needs all the help he can get. The kid’s charismatic and has a scar, but Hermione is really the brains and driving force in that friendship.

  2. Rebecca Says:

    I completely agree with Lindsay!

    Also, I have to note, I think the movies do a real disservice to the books. The books are really well written with great character development, and the movies don’t even come close to that. You kind of get the “idea” of what happens in the stories, but 90% is left out. It can be fun to watch some of what happens if you’ve read the books, but I don’t recommend them to anyone as a way to see the stories. The books are the way to go.

    (For example, in the movies, he definitely does come across as some especially magical “chosen one” special kid. In the books, he’s generally a normal kid (as far as people who go to wizard schools are), barely scraping by in his classes, with some abnormally large amount of bad crap happening to him. He’s not “universally loved” or wonderfully gifted in all areas… sometimes it seems he’s universally hated, though, heh. He gets by a lot with the help of his friends.)

    Wow, I’ve written a lot more than I expected I would about Harry Potter.
    But, my recommendation- skip the movies, read the books. Watch the movies later, if you’re then inclined.

  3. Rebecca Says:

    p.s. You are super special, and better than Harry Potter, because you’re REAL! He’s just some paper and words. =D

  4. Anne Says:

    Nu ved jeg ikke, om du er på fisketur, men mine medskribenter har ret. Din måske allerbedste egenskab er, At der er trygt omkring dig. Du skræmmer ikke hverken folk eller fæ, for nu at citere WC Fields. Og læs nu Harry Potter – på engelsk selvfølgelig, for ordmæssigt er hun næsten ligeså stærkt kørende som du. Det var også en kompliment.

No comments:

Post a Comment